The Basey Still
|Basey originally built the Mountain House in the early 1920's. Prohibition soon was passed and put Basey in a bind. A still was built down toward
Auckland and the booze was covertly sold at the Mountain House.
is the cook stove used for the Basey Still. It is near it's original
is what's left of the foundation for the still. The cookstove
has been moved to just a few feet away.
Mountain House is still in operation as a family
business. The original building that
in the early 1930's. In 1946 Pard Johnson built this building.
(This is the same year that electricity was brought to Badger
and Eshom Valley) Before Bob Spence acquired it, the
establishment passed through the hands of Joe & Nora
Gonzales, Paul Harlan, Elsie Allen, Martha & Ralph
Dimeline, Jerry & Shirley
Mullins, Sherry Gongwer and Penny Gelhaus (sisters) . Remodeling
over the years includes additional rooms including restrooms
and a deck on the north side. More