|In the 1890's a logging town came to life in the mountains northeast of Eshom Valley. Millwood was one of logging towns of the Sanger Lumber Company that cut lumber that was shipped down the flume to Sanger. A dam was constructed upstream (now Sequoia Lake) to provide water for the operation. At certain times, water was released into the flume to carry the lumber to Sanger. It would take fifteen hours for the lumber to make the trip.|
(upper mill) boasted a barber, blacksmith, photographer, shoemaker, doctor
and undertaker. There was a general store, butcher shop, livery stable,
post office, a summer school, several saloons, two hotels and a church.
As with most mining and logging towns, there was also a red light district.
For more information see Millwood Gravesites.
There were two mills near Millwood. The lower mill, two miles to the west across Mill Flat Creek, used a steam-powered, narrow-gauge railroad to the landing. The to mile rail line was called the Sequoia Railroad.
Empty cars were hauled by horse teams up to the landing where they were loaded with logs supplied from chutes from the surrounding hills.
|This is one of the two hotels at Millwood. This is the Red House.|
|The second, and larger hotel, was the Sequoia Hotel. In this picture the Big Tree Stage has arrived.|
|Here we have a combination of donkey engine and horse teams. The donkey engines eventually replaced the animals.|