The operation of Badger Inn, Post Office, and the Badger Store
Here is a brief history of the operation of the businesses at Camp Badger.
The Weathers were true 49'ers, coming to Sacramento, then in 1874 moved to badger. They operated a boarding house, store and post office just north of what is now Badger. This was a stopping place for the many teams hauling between the logging mills and the valley.
Mr. and Mrs Cooksey were next to operate these businesses.
The next owners were Mr. and Mrs. Ezry and their two children.
Next was Toliver Cortner and his brother, Preston (Press) Courtner.
About 1916, a couple from Dinuba bought the property from the Courtners. This was Dean and Lucille Wedelle.
Lucille, like Mrs.
Ida Courtner, came to the mountains as a new bride. Lucille explained
it this way:
The only telephone in the area was at the store. This was a great new way to get messages up and down the hill. Many messages were received by Mrs. Wedelle and passed on to a local Badger citizen.
A fire consumed the store and destroyed a grand collection of local Native American baskets, dolls and other artifacts. Another building was moved across the road and became the store building which has now been closed since the late 1970's. Jack Reed, brother of Barney, was last to operate the store.
Luana, the daughter of Dean and Lucille, married Barney and they became the proprietors.
Woodard was the first postmaster in 1870. He estabished the Post Office
and applied for postmaster. The new PO needed a name, so Woodard named
it after his home state of Wisconsin, the Badger state.
At this time, the Badger School was just a couple hundred yards away.